Every year you have resolutions or new actions that you “want to do” or that you “will do” Then after you get all these ideas, they just stay in your planner or in your “to do” book you put in your drawer.
If that sounds like what you KNOW you will do, stop reading here!
BUT if you want to attempt to do MORE this year, keep reading!
There are MANY ideas that you will hear that you MUST DO in order to get sales, clients, or email subscribers. The more you attempt to do, the less you actually do! You listen to others who tell you to “set goals” “set your intentions” and so forth. You do that! You are SO excited! This year is NOT going to be like others and you are going to complete ALL 20 of your goals! Whew! That is a lot of things you have to think about.
Let’s go about this in a NEW WAY! Here are my steps I have people do when they are trying to start something new. I think they may help you:
Pick ONE or TWO goals that you want to work on. Start by looking at 90, 60, or even 30 days if you need to. Think about what you KNOW you can accomplish in that amount of time. BE REALISTIC!
Create a Plan
- Mark the date on a calendar you want to hit your goal on: I will hit _______ (fill in the blank).
- Work backward to create the steps (or milestones) you need to get there. Write them down! Fill them in on the calendar.
- Pick your platforms (Blog, podcasting, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Periscope, Webinar – ONLY PICK WHAT YOU CAN DO).
- Pick when you will publish your blog posts and your social media.
- Create your blog posts/podcasts/webinar topics for your milestones.
- Create your social media topics (topics that will show others you are the best – and ADD VALUE to them).
Do the WORK
- Write the posts, record your podcasts, facilitate your webinars.
- Create your social media content.
- Create images (if you will be using them).
- Create your Call To Action (the place you will DRIVE PEOPLE TO).
- Search topics that are questions about what you do, and ANSWER the questions WITHOUT selling!
- Look at your metrics weekly to see how your traffic is doing.
- See where your traffic is coming from.
- If your metrics are not what you want — look at your content and keywords – tweak the content and try split testing new content.
This plan is a simple step-by-step approach to what you can do on a bigger spectrum. The goal is to show you the simple steps you need to do to accomplish your goals.